Sunday, June 20, 2010

Books

I have always been interested in reading and tend to collect books more than I actually read them.  My book collecting started with the Nancy Drew series.  I became obsessed with collecting them when I was around 9 years old.  My 11 year old daughter loves the Sister's Grimm series, but she has actually read all of her books.  It's been said that Oprah's book club has inspired people to start reading again.  Oprah's book recommendations have encouraged my book buying habits, but I haven't always enjoyed some of her selections nor have I bought or read them all.  The ones I have read have broadened my horizons.  Following her lead, I decided to start a book club several years ago.  My book club is still going strong although we don't always meet monthly.  I will also admit that we often talk about other topics 90% of the time and the book the other 10%.  However, it has forced me to read books on a more consistent basis.  If you are hankering to do some reading by the pool or perhaps under a tree this summer, the following are some of my favorite books we've read:

Loving Frank, The Red Tent, The Help, The Glass Castle, Water for Elephants, Snowflower and the Secret Fan, Auntie Mame, Same Kind of Different As Me, The Other Boleyn Girl, Beach Music, The Kite Runner, The Secret Life of Bees, One Thousand White Women, Pillars of the Earth, The Invisible Wall, To Kill A Mockingbird

Please comment on any books you've loved.  I love to know what other people are reading.
"Few joys rival being outside on a beautiful day in the company of a good book." - Oprah

No comments:

Post a Comment