Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Fever

Since Oprah's show has been reruns lately, I've taken a little break from my blog to work on my household to do list.  I have spring fever and the change in seasons always motivates me to change my home decor a little (or a lot) and declutter.  I like to bring my collection of shells out for the spring and summer, change some of my framed photos to coincide with the season and maybe change a pillow or two.   On the topic of pillows, I remember an old Oprah show where they talked about how you should change your bed pillow every year because of all the dust mites lurking in them.  I recently tossed my kids pillows which were well past their prime.  I can't say I get much decluttering done.  I tend to just replace one item with something else.

In this month's O Magazine Oprah says, "This I know:  More things don't make you feel more alive."  I can appreciate the fact that if you think buying something is going to make you feel more fulfilled it doesn't work.  It only makes you happy temporarily.  I do think surrounding yourself with things you love though is good for the soul.  You just have to know how to edit so you don't look like a pack rat.  I'm a very visual person and something that is the least bit off will bother me.  Maybe visual isn't the right word choice, it's more like neurotic.

Changing a few things in my home gives me a renewed outlook.  I find when I have too many things I can start to feel overwhelmed by all of my stuff.   I enjoy the creativity of decorating and love to find new uses for things.  I was raised by a mother who also constantly redecorates so I can't help it if it's in my genes.  Bring out the bunnies, throw away your old door mat and welcome spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment