Saturday, July 31, 2010

State Fairs

Oprah and Gayle visited the Texas State Fair last year.  They started their adventure by shopping for cowboy hats and boots.  I've been thinking about going to the Missouri State Fair this year if time allows.  I remember going to the State Fair in Pennsylvania when I was a kid.  I loved riding all of the carnival rides, looking at all of the animals, and eating funnel cakes.  At that time they didn't have the plethora of fried foods they do now.  If you fry it they will come.  A sampling of the Texas State Fair fried foods included: guacamole, butter, chicken fried bacon, deep fried lattes, moon pies, twinkies, peanut butter jelly & banana sandwiches, and peaches and cream. I have tried to eat less fried foods over the years with the exception of french fries.  Last year I tried a fried Oreo and couldn't eat more than a bite.  A state fair is one of those things you have to experience at least once in your lifetime.   I feel a little guilty that one of my kids has yet to visit a state fair and the one that did was to young to remember it.  Part of the problem is the Missouri Sate Fair takes place in mid August.  Of course the experience wouldn't be the same without a little heat, humidity and the smell of grease and stinky animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment