Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Judds

Oprah kicked off her first week of her farewell season with mother and daughter country legends, Wynonna & Naomi Judd.  They are famous for their no holds barred conversations about each other.  The dynamics of mother and daughter relationships can be difficult.   The Judd women tend to provoke each other which is something I know a little bit about in raising my own daughter.  Naomi says she has learned to be nonresistant and invitational instead of confrontational.  Wynonna says she started to study photos of her mother before she was born and really wants to get to know her as a person instead of being reactive to her.   When your a kid I think it's difficult to see your parents as anything other than your parents.  I love to look at old photos of my parents and grandparents and get a glimpse into what their life was like prior to me.

Wynonna has been asked why she is willing to go on Oprah and air her dirty laundry.  Her response was, "I'm willing to teach through my mistakes and my victories."  The Judds shared some communication tips they've learned through therapy.  The following are some of the tools that have helped them communicate better with each other.

  • ask the other person if this is a good time to talk to them
  • repeat back what you hear the other person saying
  • ask for a do over if you want to retract something you've said
  • validate the other person by telling them that you understand why they feel a certain way
I need to post these by my kitchen desk so I remember to use them in communicating with my own family.  Thanks for the free therapy session Wynonna and Naomi.

No comments:

Post a Comment