Sunday, September 12, 2010

Laura Bush

A local seven year old boy died recently from a car accident.  He was leaving school and was struck by an SUV while trying to cross the street between two stopped cars.  I don't know who was driving the SUV, but chances are it was a parent picking up their child from school.  The boy wasn't at a crosswalk and it was difficult to see him because of the parked cars.  I feel for the family that lost their son. I can't imagine the pain they are feeling.  When I heard of the accident, I immediately said a prayer for the person that was driving the car that hit him.  It was an accident, but I can't imagine living with the burden of knowing you caused the death of a child.  You might be wondering how does all of this tie in with Oprah.

I recently watched her interview with former first lady, Laura Bush, which aired a long time ago.  Mrs. Bush was the driver in a car accident when she was 17 years old that killed a good friend of hers .  It's something she'll obviously never forget. She said that after it happened her parents got caught up in the "what if's" game.  She has learned that what if's are futile.  Laura Bush said, "What happens is what happens.  There are things that happen that you can't control and that you can't change as much as you would want to ever." I need to continually remind myself of the importance of that statement.  There are things in life you'll never forget, but you can move on and live your best life instead of dwelling on the past.  I believe Laura Bush is a good testimony to that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment