Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Monica Jorge

Two years ago Oprah interviewed Monica Jorge whom she has dubbed the "Warrior Mom".  I clearly remember Monica because I was amazed by her indomitable spirit.  Her body was attacked by a flesh-eating bacteria just days after the birth of her second child.  Doctors had to amputate both of her arms and legs.  She didn't throw herself a pity party which I personally would have been inclined to do.  She does the best with what she has.  She is one of those guests I don't want to forget so I felt it was important to write about her.

Oprah brought Monica back on her show last week to follow up with her and see what her typical day is like.  She lives in a modest rental apartment with her husband and 12 and 3 year old daughters.  Her kitchen cabinets and drawers don't have handles so she has to pry them open with a spoon or have help from her children.  As part of her making wildest dreams come true show Oprah will be purchasing a home for her family and making sure it fits her needs.  Decorating extraordinaire and cutie, Nate Berkus, will be decorating the home and featuring it on his new show. To my husband's dismay I have become a fan of Nate's show as well.

We all have obstacles to overcome at times.  Some people's obstacles are far worse than others.  I learn from people like Monica what the human spirit is capable of and it makes my obstacles look like grains of sand instead of the giant mountain I've made them out to be.

2 comments:

  1. Today I tuned in to Oprah's Wildest Dreams episode.I was struck my Monica George's story.I was in tears most of the time but i admired her so so much for her strong spirit.I also want to give credit to her husband for being there for her.
    He too is part of why she is so strong.
    God bless Monica and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dear friend of mine has just come home after a full month of fighting for her life due to this horrible infection. Once they were confident she would live, they were faced with the new issue. Her feet and hands had first turned blue, then black apparently because the body was fighting so hard against the infection in her abdomen and thigh area that (I assume) not blood and oxygen was getting to her extremities. They would have to be amputated. Another month has passed and she has been in a rehab center where she is strengthening her core muscles (something she already had an issue with due to a previous medical issue that put her on crutches until January (only months prior to the infection). THIS issue, mind you was caused by surgery she had due to breast cancer before that....lets just say the deck seems stacked against this poor woman. But still she fights, sets goals and beats them. Her most recent goal was to get home to see her oldest child graduate...and she did. She is now back living in her home. Its only been a week, the media is now on her and I feel she needs some sound advice from someone like Monica. If someone here knows how to reach her and wants to have her reach out it would be wonderful. I would be happy to provide Monica with contact information. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete