Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sarah Ferguson

I just recently went to the Princess Diana exhibit at Kansas City's Union Station with some friends.  It was interesting to get a peek into the personal life of a princess.  Our group collectively agreed that being a princess isn't the fairytale it's portrayed to be.   It is an image of glamour and worldliness, but there is also a great deal of loneliness and conformity.  I first wrote about Sarah Ferguson in June of 2010 on my blog.  She appeared on Oprah to talk about her video tape scandal.  I thought about her during Prince William's wedding.  She wasn't invited, but her two daughters attended the royal wedding.  I understand why the Queen didn't extend an invitation to her, but she had been friends with Diana since they were 14 years old.  Oprah asked her if she felt ostracized by the Royal Family and she said she didn't.  She was sad about not being there, but felt she had ostracized herself because of all her past mistakes and regrets.  Sarah said she still has a close relationship with Prince Andrew despite the scandal and that he carried a picture of her in his pocket at the wedding.

"Finding Sarah: From Royalty to the Real World" premiers June 12 on the OWN network.  Oprah showed clips of the show which chronicles her soul searching journey to get to the root of her problems.  I found it interesting that she said she had four ladies in waiting while she lived at the palace who were there for her every need.  If she dropped her handkerchief they'd pick it up.  Oprah got a big kick out of that.  I had no idea ladies in waiting still existed.  She also said she only saw Prince Andrew 40 days a year for the first five years of their marriage.  She was living in a castle, but without her prince.  Oprah said she saw that Sarah was a good person when she first interviewed her.  She made a mistake and felt she shouldn't be defined by her mistake.  Sarah consults with Dr. Phil on her show and they have an AHA moment.  She realizes she is addicted to acceptance and approval.  I see a little bit of myself in Sarah.  If someone doesn't respond to me right away I think it must be because of me.  My husband likes to remind me that contrary to my belief it's not about me.  Sarah says the best lesson she has learned so far is to take a moment.  Connect with your inner spirit.  She asks herself where are those thoughts in your head coming from?  Is it self hatred talking or the willingness to please others?  What do you feel for yourself?  I will be tuning in June 12 to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment