Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Peter Walsh

Organization expert, Peter Walsh is a frequent guest on the Oprah show.  His British straightforward manner is a much needed quality when having to tell people they need to get rid of their possessions.  According to Peter, there is an illusion that things will make you happy.  Things can bring you comfort momentarily in the same way that food does.  Peter equates excess weight with excess clutter in your house. In addition to decluttering my home day by day,  I'd also like to lose a few excess pounds this Spring.  Maybe this will give me more motivation to clean out my house.  Peter says there are two types of clutter: memory clutter and I might need it one day clutter which keeps you tied to the past. Unfortunately,  I have both of these. Several years ago I had no idea where my birth certificate was and other important documents, but I have a box of memorabilia containing trading cards of the Osmonds and the movie Grease which came with bubblegum back in the 70's.  According to Peter, your home should be a reflection of the healthy life you want to live.  Ask yourself what do I want from this room?  Whenever I watch Peter help a family declutter it inspires me to go through another drawer or closet and really assess the things I'm keeping and why. There was a family from Denmark on an Oprah show titled "The Happiest People on Earth".  Their homes are very simple in Denmark, but functional and what I would describe as modern and minimalistic.  Their focus is on living rather than consumerism.  I'll never forget the moto he used-  less space, less things, more life.  As much as I love my things and love to shop, I believe there is great truth to that motto.

1 comment: