Monday, March 1, 2010

Barbara Walters

A lot of young girls idolize actresses or pop stars.  I idolized Barbara Walters.  I have watched her Oscar special religiously every year since I was a teenager.  I knew I wanted to major in Journalism ever since the sixth grade.  I earned a degree in Journalism from the University of Kansas.  I admire Barbara's determination, drive and candor.  It was a treat for me the day Oprah and Barbara discussed her autobiography Audition. She exudes confidence, but not in an arrogant manner.  She is the same Barbara whether if she if she is talking to an actor or a politician.  I got to see the more emotional side of Barbara in this interview.  She is normally very stoic and has been known to make those she's interviewing weep. I was impressed with her honesty and integrity in discussing some very difficult and less glamorous topics.  After watching the show it made me admire Barbara even more, but for different reasons.  She is now a softer and kinder Barbara.  Behind the stoic and professional facade is a real person who has feelings like the rest of us.  This years Oscar special featuring Sandra Bullock and Mo'Nique will be her last, ending a 29 year tradition of interviewing Oscar nominees.  This Wednesday Oprah will be airing her own Oscar special where past Oscar winners interview each other.  I guess the torch has been passed on, but I'll miss you Barbara.

No comments:

Post a Comment