Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

Today is the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day. The last few years Oprah has had people on her show demonstrate how we can make a difference in protecting our environment. The main message she'd like to convey is that everything we do affects everybody else. She featured the team behind the Academy Award winning documentary "The Cove." The film shows how thousands of dolphins are being slaughtered every year September-November in a cove in Taiji, Japan. I'm a very visual person so when I actually saw the dolphins being slaughtered it encouraged me to take action. We can all do our part by simply signing a petition at www.SaveJapanDolphins.org.

Last year Fabien Cousteau was on the Oprah show, and he showed how plastic and garbage are killing marine life. There is a Great Pacific Garbage Patch twice the size of Texas which stretches from California to Japan. Plastic and garbage are killing marine life. The marine life get caught in nets and are ingesting plastics which affect their health. We in turn eat the fish which are full of toxins. They are now finding breast cancer in beluga whales. Whatever you put down your drain or sewage comes back to you which is a scary thought.

Oprah showed what a landfill looks like which was helpful to me. I am your typical consumer who fills at least two huge trash cans full of garbage each week. I have recycled for years, but I know I could be doing more. I have made a few changes in the effort to go green. I've bought reusable bags for grocery shopping, but unfortunately half the time I forget to bring them to the store with me. The amount of plastic we use is outrageous, and it takes years for it to decompose. I've recently made a more conscious effort to bring a refillable water bottle with me to the gym rather then use disposable ones. Last year Eco living expert, Simran Sethi, gave some additional suggestions on living greener:

1. Buy LED bulbs. They will last up to 10 years and will save on energy
2. CFL light bulbs are also a good option - We buy these
3. Use a programmable thermostat
4. Use weather stripping wherever you have air leaks around windows and doors
5. LCD TV's are more energy efficent than a plasma screen TV
6. A water aerator put on your faucet will reduce the water, but have the same pressure
7. Energy star appliances save $400-$800 a year
8. Water heater blankets can save you $160 a year

I have been recycling now for years, but I'm surprised by how many of my neighbors still don't recycle. I'm not throwing stones at anyone because I could certainly be doing more. If we all change one or two things every six months or so we can help to make this earth a healthier place. Please feel free to comment on how you've made an effort to go green. I'd love for you to share your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment