Thursday, April 1, 2010

Vision Boards

I learned about vision boards from a past Oprah show with Martha Beck and Cheryl Richardson.  Vision boards can be as big or small as you want them to be.  It is a collection of images that you have selected because they are things you want in your life.  A vision board helps you to focus and forces you to sit down and think about what you want.  I will use any excuse there is to find a reason to cut and paste pictures. My vision board has a picture of Nate Berkus, O Magazine, a beach house, the words be healthy, create, lucky you and places I want to travel as well as other things. Since I just recently wrote about the law of attraction, I thought it would be fun to share one of the ways my visions have appeared in my life.

Last October, Oprah magazine was in Kansas City for their O YOU seminars.  The opportunity presented itself, and this time I seized it.  I spent the day being inspired by people who are mentors to me and that I've watched on the Oprah show for the past few years.  It was Nate who drew me to the conference.  I saw an article in the Kansas City Star's home section about him coming to town which connected me to O YOU online.  I had an AHA moment a few days before the seminar. I had put Nate and O Magazine on my vision board.  My vision manifested itself even though it wasn't in the exact way I'd pictured.  I was hoping Nate would pay me a personal visit.  I'll have to be more specific with my visions in the future. My friend Denise and I were packed into the Kansas City Convention Center with hundreds of Oprah fans. Gayle King started the day by introducing O's first expert in his field, Nate Berkus.  I knew it was going to be a great day.  He was very gracious and as cute as ever.  He talked about finding inspiration in everyday things like nature, colors, and objects.  He showed how he translates that inspiration into his home decor line and design. 

The next speaker I chose to see was Stacy London.  I got fashion tips while Denise was getting financial advice from Suze Ormond.  Stacy was hilarious much like the way she is on television.  I got a few new tips.  According to Stacy, you should always try to wear three pieces in your wardrobe.  For example a scarf, shirt and pants; a vest, shirt and pants; or a jacket, shirt and skirt.  I think you get the picture.  It's also good to have something with texture in your outfit.  It could be a ruffle or a metallic finish. 

After a morning of style tips the afternoon had a more serious note.  Dr. Oz gave us a run down of all the vitamins we should be getting daily and took questions from the audience.  His energy and simplistic way of describing how our internal organs work make you want to learn more and take better control of your own health.

My day ended with Martha Beck.  She is like a walking encyclopedia.  Her column is one of my favorites in O Magazine.  She talked about characteristics which will be marketable in the new century.  The six qualities are design, story telling, symphony, play, empathy and meaning.  People who are right brain oriented will have more opportunities.  That is good news for me.  Martha says, "your mission in life is where your deep gladness and the worlds deep hunger meet."  One of my favorite quotes she gives in the lovely journals each person received is, "We live in a pathless age: old ways of living are disappearing, and our ability to create new realities is limited only by the scope of our imagination.  Set yourself free to imagine wonderful things."  I have always been a dreamer.  There is a comment on my kindergarten report card from my teacher that says, "Dawn tends to daydream in class."  I think one of the reasons why I love Martha and Oprah so much is that they dare us to dream the impossible dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment