Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Nate Berkus

Some people have Twilight premier parties, I'm thinking of having a Nate Berkus party. The Nate Berkus show premiers September 13. I can't believe it has been eight years since he first appeared on Oprah. One lucky viewer whose 300 square foot apartment was redecorated by Nate said it best, "He doesn't just design spaces he transforms lives." Nate has shared tons of decorating advice over the past eight years.

Nate's best advice for small spaces:
1) furniture has to be multifunctional
2) use large scale pieces-small pieces remind you that everything is small

Nate's best advice for freshening up outdated rooms:
1) buy new pillows, a rug or slipcover
2) new drapes in a neutral color - mount drapes higher than the window frame to make the room
feel taller

Nate works from the heart and it is evident in the rooms he creates. You can tell he really cares about the people he's helping and how they live. I believe your home doesn't define who you are, but it can make a difference in the way you live your life and your stress level. Who doesn't like a clean home? Nate says your home is an expression of you. What makes you happy? I have really tried to make my home an expression of me and not be totally influenced by model homes in my area. While I try to stay up to date, I also try to personalize my home with accessories that say something about me. I collect shells, old and new books, and old games and cameras. In my 20's and 30's I used to feel like anything I was given by a friend or relative (especially my mother) I had to display. I felt ungrateful if I didn't have it prominently displayed. A common theme on Oprah's shows whether if it's in regard to fashion or your home is if you don't love it get rid of it. Surround yourself with things you love.

Some of Nate's Best Essentials

1) Frame meaningful notes.
2) Mix souvenirs from vacations in with your books on your bookshelf.
3) Replace harsh overhead lighting with a few cool lamps.
4) One odd unmatched chair that you love can add charm to a room. However, I don't think he's talking about an Archie Bunker recliner.
5) Include a piece of sea life like a starfish or shell in your decorating.
6) Hang something other than artwork on walls like antique objects or collections.

Oprah frequently says, "Your house should rise up to meet you." Does your house say hello when you walk in the door or do you want to turn around and walk the other way?

No comments:

Post a Comment