Tuesday, May 11, 2010

O Magazine

Oprah celebrated the 10th Anniversary of O Magazine in New York last week. Her dream team of experts were in attendance: Dr. Phil, Nate Berkus, Suze Orman and Dr. Oz. I just recently renewed my subscription to O and the May issue has been one of my favorites. She asked most of her columnists to list their ten best pieces of advice. Dr. Phil talked about how it's easy to get stuck in a rut and go through the motions instead of finding your passions in life. According to Dr. Phil, "You have to be willing to do something different." He decided to put his money where his mouth is and shaved off his mustache for the first time in 40 years. I thought he looked better without it. Dr. Oz talked about showing up in your own life and how going to bed 30 minutes earlier will give you more energy, less stress and more time for intimacy with your partner. Nate gave viewers a glimpse of his home in New York which has a fabulous view. His first tip was to edit. That's Nates way of saying less is more. You don't have to display everything you own all at once. He also talked about how collections can tell a story about who you are. For example, I collect seashells and have a few of them displayed in my bedroom year round. In the summer I like to bring others out of storage and display them throughout my house. Another tip was to use your good stuff every day instead of saving it for special occasions. That is something I need to practice more often. My good china is lucky if it ever gets to see the light of day. His last tip was to shop your local art school for artwork. Suze talked about being honest with who you are and what you have. Suze said, "Use cash and don't let the things around you define who you are." O Magazine's Creative Director, Adam Glassman, gave tips on wardrobe staples that never go out of style. Celebrity mothers and daughters modeled the following: pencil skirts, animal prints (their considered a neutral), a nude shoe which makes you look thinner and taller, a leather jacket, white jeans, a sequin scarf, a statement shoe, a white shirt, a wrap dress and diamond hoop earrings. The magazine is worth picking up and probably won't be on news stands for too much longer.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    I do use my good china and silverware.I put them in the dishwasher on the china settings.I like to hear people say how nice they are on the table and not always in the china cabinet.I also like to use cloth napkins when I am using all the good stuff.Makes a big difference!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Marie, that is a great tip. We shouldn't wait for special occassions to bring out the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading the May issue while getting my hair cut and vowed to buy it because it was so good, then completely forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete