Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I AM

Hollywood Director, Tom Shadyac, talked about his new documentary "I AM".   The title gets it's name from the original utterance of God, I Am.   The three key concepts of the movie that he wanted to share are:

1) The entire human race is connected.
2) We are all hardwired to cooperate- not to compete.
3) If you don't do what your heart wants you to do it can destroy you.

Tom lived an extravagant lifestyle and was a multimillionaire yet he realized he wasn't happy despite all of his outwardly success-the accolades, fancy cars, beautiful homes, etc.  Based on societies standards he should be not just happy, but ecstatic.  He felt unsettled and started to do some soul searching.  It seems a lot of people have been doing this lately including myself.  In 2007 he had a bike accident and suffered from post-  concussion syndrome.  He was in severe pain and unable to work for awhile.  After facing near death he decided to research what's wrong with our world and what can we do.  The movie I AM explores this question.  Oprah began the show by saying its purpose was to get people to start having a conversation in their own families about what they value and not to try and change peoples belief systems. 

Tom went from a 17,000 square foot mansion to a mobile home.  It looked like a nice mobile home, but was meager compared to what he lived in before.  His purpose wasn't to say we should all give up our worldly possessions, but to ask what is true for you and is enough.  Tom says, these days he tries to just take what he needs and no more.  All of our paths are different.  I live in a 3,200 square foot home with a finished basement.   I sometimes think it would be nice to have a bigger closet, bathroom, garage, kitchen, bedroom, etc.  We can afford to move to a bigger home, but we don't really need it. Our house is plenty big enough for the four of us. I'd rather save up for a small home on the beach.  It is easy to get caught up in what society says we should want- a bigger home, nicer car etc., but you have to ask yourself if that is true for you.  I think Tom's experience is a good example of how money doesn't buy happiness, it has to come from within.  What money can do though is provide options.  Not everyone has the option to take time off of work, but we can all find some time to do a little soul searching even if it's in the shower or car. 

Tom also talked about societies obsession with celebrities.  Our culture celebrates people for doing absolutely nothing.  Reality television has taken this to a whole new level, Jersey Shore comes to mind.  Tom talked about how we need to start seeing people as equal.  A celebrity is no better than anyone else.  I had an AHA moment about this when I attended Oprah's After Oscar Party show in Los Angeles.  I realized I tend to put some celebrities on a pedestal, namely Oprah and John Travolta. I spent a lot of time searching faces in LA just to see if I'd get a glimpse of someone famous.  What a waste of time and energy.  It took getting sick, being cold, hungry and exhausted for me to realize this.  After the show I refused to stand in another line to take the bus back to the parking lot so we walked over to the Renaissance hotel which is connected to the Kodak theater.  My husband and I decided to sit for a minute and get a drink of water.  Carson Kressley walked into the hotel (granted he's not an A list celebrity), but I was not about to get up from my chair and ask for a picture unless Jesus himself walked through the door. It's nice to admire people for their talents. I'm not saying I still wouldn't have my picture taken with a celebrity if the opportunity presented itself, but I put it into perspective now.  "I AM" is playing in select theaters now, and I am going to see it if it's showing near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment