Wednesday, October 20, 2010

J.K. Rowling

My husband likes to use the phrase "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, talked with Oprah about her life before becoming a billionaire writer.  She was a struggling single mother and battled depression before Harry Potter came along and took her from rags to riches.  Jo, which stands for the J, used the dark periods and struggles in her life as the basis for the Harry Potter books.  Her mother died when she was 25.  They were very close and Jo says the books wouldn't be what they are had she not passed away.  At least half of Harry's journey involves dealing with death.  She explained how the evil characters in her book came from a dark period of depression she experienced.

It is always inspiring to me when I hear stories like J.K. Rowlings.  I realize not all difficult life lessons have a fairy tale ending like hers.  More often than not our national and local news reminds us of all of the disaster and failures that are occurring in society. There are a lot of people who are currently experiencing failure in their life due to the economy and poor choices.   I believe we're all born with a survival instinct and it's during those hard times in life that you realize you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment