Monday, October 11, 2010

Martha Stewart

Oprah interviewed Martha Stewart this week.  Martha Stewart changed the way I and other domestic divas look at housekeeping.  Even though there is no "p" in her name she is the epitome of perfectionism.  She even used her time in prison to her advantage by reading a lot and teaching inmates crafts.  Martha says prison was a test of her inner strength.  She discovered she can exist without all of life's luxuries.  I enjoy decorating and the comforts of home and can easily be materialistic.  If Martha can live without her lemons, I'd like to think I could do it too.

Oprah asked Martha what she would tell her younger self if she could go back in time.  Her response was " to continue to be curious, look to the future and be passionate in life."    I feel like Martha's passion,  hard work and ingenuity is what got her to where she is today.  That and a staff of people to assist her.

I enjoy making crafts and admire creativity in people.  I love how Martha can make the simplest things like a bar of soap seem special.  I'm inspired by her creativity and reminded that love is sometimes in the littlest details.  For example, taking the time to wrap a gift with a pretty ribbon.  I have a few good friends who delight in the details when they entertain or give gifts, and I appreciate the time they put into it.  Not everyone has that same appreciation, time or desire to be crafty like Martha.   I don't think we should strive to be perfect all the time,  even though this can be difficult for a perfectionist like myself.  What I do know is that a little effort can go a long way even if it's just for ourselves.  If only I could just feel the same way about cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment