Friday, October 22, 2010

Love Story

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."- Jenny Cavilleri from the movie "Love Story"  Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neil starred as the young couple in love in the movie and were reunited on the Oprah show.  I would have been three years old when the movie came out yet I remember years later its impact on society.  My mother was a huge fan of the movie.  I actually own the book which is written by Erich Segal. This shouldn't surprise those who know me well.  It must have been my mothers.  I haven't read the book and to be honest I'm not sure I remember the movie.  However, I do remember the line, "Love means never having to say your sorry."  I think it was the catch phrase of the 70's.  Oprah and Ali MacGraw talked about how that line makes no sense.  Does that mean we can just mistreat and say hurtful things to those we love because we expect them to know we love them?  On the contrary, we should be apologizing whenever we are wrong.  I  sometimes take for granted my closest family members because I expect them to love me unconditionally.

Oprah and Ali also talked about how society and Hollywood create myths and illusions of what our life should look like. For example, what paths we should take in life or what we should look like. Everyone has their own truth and they don't all look the same. Life would be boring if we were all clones. The movie "The Stepford Wives" comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment