Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tyler Perry

I went through several tissues watching the Tyler Perry interview on Oprah.  Actor and producer, Tyler Perry, is the second highest paid male in Hollywood. However, all of the money in the world can't take away the painful childhood he experienced.  He was physically and emotionally abused by his father and molested by several men.  A friends mother also sexually abused him when he was ten.  He talked about his journey toward healing and how some of those lessons are conveyed in his films.

Tyler discussed with Oprah how it's okay to be angry, but not bitter. That is a hard concept for me.  It's okay to be angry in the moment, but when anger turns to bitterness it becomes hurtful.  Tyler was able to forgive his father and to this day even financially supports him.  He doesn't wish to have a relationship with him, but forgave him.  I've always looked at forgiveness as my way of giving in to the other person.  I have to constantly remind myself that forgiveness is for me.  I thought an audience member by the name of Selena put it best, "forgiveness is for you so that you can be free."

No comments:

Post a Comment