Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Favorite Things

The month of November is when Oprah has aired her my favorite things show over the past several years. When I had the opportunity to attend her show my friend and I picked the month of November with the intention that maybe we would be lucky enough to get on that show.  I tried visualizing and willing it for weeks however, it wasn't in God's plan.  Ironically, the show I attended was on spirituality which was something I needed at the time, not more things.  What's also ironic is that I missed being on that show by a day.  The morning after we went to the show there were two girls in the hotel lobby my friend and I talked to that were headed to the Oprah show.  Several weeks later, I'm watching the my favorite things show which that year wasn't like past shows due to the shifting economy.  I believe she gave away a book and some pie. Anyhow, I see the two girls we met in the lobby in the front row.  I immediately called my friend and couldn't believe how close we came to being on that show.  Unfortunately, I don't foresee myself being on her last favorite things show, but in the spirit of giving I thought I'd share some of my favorite things.

The first thing I'd like to share is a cinnamon scone recipe from my friend Sheila.  I make these a lot at Christmas time to give to friends and family and they are always a big hit.  She was just featured in last week's KC Star with this recipe.



Cinnamon Chip Scones

3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c cold butter, cut into tablespoons
1 cup buttermilk
1 (10oz.) bag cinnamon baking chips (these are sold with the chocolate chips)
2 tbsp melted butter, divided
1/2 cup sanding sugar

Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir buttermilk into mixture until dough forms.  Gently stir in cinnamon baking chips until distributed throughout dough.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 10 to 12 times or until no longer sticky.  Divide dough in half and form two discs.  Pat one disc of dough into a 7 in circle, brush with tsp butter and sprinkle with sanding sugar.  Cut circle into 6 or 8 wedges.  Separate wedges and place on ungreased baking sheet. Do the same for the other disc of dough.  Bake for 10 to 13 min. or until lightly browned.  Store in a tin. They will keep for a week or more and travel well.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love your cinnamon scones, thanks for the recipe, I hope to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are definitely in need of another book club meeting. I'll bring the scones :)

    ReplyDelete