Monday, November 8, 2010

What is Normal

Webster's dictionary defines normal as a pattern or trait taken to be typical in the behavior of a social group.  Oprah recently aired a show titled "What is Normal?" and shared some statistics from questionnaires given to the general public.  I'm the type of person who loves to take random quizzes  that tell you something about your personality. The following are a few findings which I thought would be fun to share.

  • 68% of people lie about their weight on their drivers license
  • Men lie twice as much as women
  • 94% of people speak to their pets as if they're human
  • 90% of people sing while driving
  • 43% of women say they don't brush their teeth before going to bed
Dr. Phil shared some things which tend to be common among men and women.
According to Dr. Phil the top four things women lie about are:
  1. They say I'm fine, there's nothing wrong.
  2. This isn't new
  3. This was cheap I got it on sale.
  4. I've got a headache.
The men's list includes the following lines:
  1. I'm fine, there's nothing wrong.
  2. This is my last drink.
  3. No, that doesn't make you look fat.
  4. I'm on the way.
For those of you who may be wondering,  I tested normal.  Normal of course is all relative depending on what society you live in.  What is normal in China most likely isn't normal in Africa.  What I have learned and continue to work on is to not compare myself to other people.  What's important is to stay true to yourself.  What may be normal to someone else may not be normal to me.   Oprah also mentioned that the most googled word on the Internet is love.  Hopefully that is the main thing we all have in common.



No comments:

Post a Comment