Thursday, January 13, 2011

Camping

Like Oprah, I've been on a winter hiatus.  I haven't had a chance to tune into some of her new programs on the OWN network, but I plan to soon.  There are a few shows like Master Class and Miracle Detectives that I'm excited to watch. 

Oprah and her friend Gayle visited Yosemite National Park awhile back pulling a pop-up camper.  It was in response to a letter they received from Shelton, a Yosemite Park Ranger, who felt that very few African Americans visit national parks.  They decided to make their presence among the Yosemite campers and it brought back memories of when I used to camp with my family as a little kid.  We too had a pop-up camper that my dad pulled behind our green station wagon.  I have a lot of fond memories of camping as well as not so fond memories. We often camped with our cousins or family friends at KOA campgrounds.  It was fun hiking through the mountains and spending quality time together away from the television and enjoying the fresh air.  Sometimes the air was damp or muggy.  I remember one particularly hot day when we were packed like sardines in a campground pool in Virginia that felt like bath water.  My Dad still likes to talk about that particular camping experience and their less than stellar amenities.   The not so good memories are often the ones you laugh most about later in life. 

We've only camped a few times with our kids and those have been with scouting events.  My Dad is sure to remind me that I need to take my kids camping.  These days I am more of a log cabin with running water type of camper than a tent camper.  I recently watched Sarah Palin's Alaska show with my daughter. It was the episode where Kate Gosselin and her kids are camping with Sarah.  It rained the entire time, Kate whined a lot of being cold and left right after the smores.  It was apparent the two had a totally different take on nature.  I appreciate the beauty, solitude and sense of awe that nature provides.  However, cold and wet are not a good combination for me no matter how beautiful the scenery is.  I guess some people like their creature comforts more than others.

I hope to have a camping adventure in 2011 (of the log cabin sort).  Please comment on any parks or camping experiences you've had that you'd recommend.  Below is a picture of my sister and I in our pop-up camper circa 1970's.

No comments:

Post a Comment