Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happiness

Oprah interviewed one of my favorite actresses Goldie Hawn.  When I think of Goldie the word happy comes to mind, but there was a time when she went through a deep depression.  After being thrown into the spotlight, she experienced a lot of anxiety and would have panic attacks.  She had to learn how be happy again.  Goldie said she went to therapy for nine years and spent many years researching the topic of happiness.  Over 4,000 books have been written on the subject of happiness.  I recently purchased a book on my kindle called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  It describes the year she spent researching the topic of happiness and testing what she learned.

Research has show that 50% of happiness is genetic.  Evidently we are born with a happiness set point, but you can retrain your brain to think differently.  Studies show you can increase your happiness by 40%.  I have a feeling my genetic pool doesn't have one of the higher set points.  It's not that I'm unhappy, it just seems like I'm constantly trying to be more positive.  I think it just comes more naturally to some people like my husband for instance.  I also personally think hormones have a way of wreaking havoc on your happiness.

Studies have show having 10 minutes a day of quiet time can increase happiness.  Oprah and Goldies recommendation was to take just 1 or 2 minutes throughout the day to take deep breaths and be still.  I have tried to meditate and 10 minutes can seem like 60.  I like the idea of starting with just 1 or 2 and taking deep breaths.  I found the following findings on happiness interesting.

  • The happiest jobs in America are travel agent, clergy, special education teacher and fire fighter.
  • According to Dan Buettner, author of Thrive,  belonging to a club that requires you to show up once a month is equal to the happiness of doubling your income.
  • Dan also said studies show the impact of a material possession only lasts 9 months.  However, an experience will increase happiness over time.  So if you're debating between a new pair of shoes or taking a dance class, take the class.
  • Studies show that money can buy you happiness, but only to a certain point.  When it comes to finding a job do something you love not something that will just make you a lot of money.
I have a bad habit of over thinking things.  I have a piece of art by Rodney White that hangs in my kitchen.  I think it's simple message sums up happiness the best.

We tend to seek happiness when happiness is actually a choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment