Sunday, January 16, 2011

Resoultions

Behaviors or qualities that we complain about in other people are often the very same things we don't like about in ourselves.  I remember first hearing that while watching an Oprah show years ago.  I wish I could remember who said it.  I think it was Dr. Phil (prior to the Dr. Phil show) or it may have been Oprah herself.  My husband reminded me of this fact the other day when I was complaining about my daughter's procrastination.  I too am a huge procrastinator, but somehow it's much easier to point out in her.  There are quite a few qualities she possesses like stubbornness and the need to have the last word that I often like to attribute to my husbands side of the family.  However, if I take a good look in the mirror the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

One of my new year's resolutions is less nagging and complaining.  I haven't found them to be very affective tools over the years.  You can't change people, but you can change the way you perceive them.  Just the other day I noticed my daughter had written Lauren is AWESOME on her school binder.  She is awesome, and I hope I never forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment