Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Artists Way

I'm reading a book called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It has helped me immensely so far. I started it years ago, but never finished the book or consistently did the exercises. A voice inside my head kept telling me to give it another try. There is an exercise called the morning pages where you write three pages every morning about whatever your thinking or feeling. You just write whatever pops into your head. At first you might think this is stupid, and I don't really have anything interesting to say. It is amazing how over time your writing starts revealing things to you. A lot of times I find that it is a form of prayer for me, and I'm having conversations with God. Some of you may be thinking it sounds like your just journaling. Your right. I have journaled in the past, but not every day and first thing in the morning. It didn't quite have the same effect on me. The book has a lot of exercises and encouraging and spiritual advice. You might be saying to yourself about now "What does this have to do with Oprah?" As I was writing my morning pages today it occurred to me that the way I learned about the book was through O Magazine. It was one of the book's on Elizabeth Shue's bookshelf. My friends know how much I love books and recommending them. If your an aspiring artist and wish to reconnect with your creativity. Check out the Artist's Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment