Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Locator

I tape all of Oprah's shows, and I will usually read the description of what the show is about and contemplate deleting it.  I've decided to at least watch the first 15 minutes of a show to see if it's something I'm interested in.   Last week one of Oprah's shows was about people who had been adopted and trying to locate their birth parents.  I hadn't intended on watching the whole show because I thought I wouldn't be able to relate to it since I wasn't adopted.  There are times in my life however, when I wondered how I could possibly be related to my siblings.  I think we've all experienced that at some point.  Oprah interviewed Troy Dunn who is an investigator and is the host of a new reality show starting in March called "The Locator".  Troy's job is to reunite old friends or missing relatives.  Troy had a lot of wonderful life quotes and myth busters. Here's a few that struck a chord with me.

Myth number 1-  Time heals all wounds.  In working with a lot of people on his show Troy has found some wounds are as fresh today as they were 25 years ago. According to Troy, sometimes to protect ourselves we create stories in our head that we repeat so many times it becomes fact. We write off a person because we think they are unworthy.   I have had situations in my life where someone hurt my feelings, and I tend to replay the scenario in my head so many times that the anger just festers.  Most of the time the feelings are real and justified.  The problem is when we elaborate on the facts and read things into them that aren't real.   Luckily my husband helps to keep me in check.

Myth number 2- Timing is everything.  Troy says, "Timing is something, but not everything. If you wait for timing to be everything you'll end up with nothing."  I really liked this one.  I'm a huge procrastinator.  I tend to put things off because I don't think I have enough time to do them or because things aren't perfect.  How many times have you not bought a new piece of clothing because you still need to lose that last 10 pounds.  If that were the case for me, I would still be wearing the same clothes I did 10 years ago which is a scary thought.   

Myth number 3-  Blood is thicker than water.  Troy says, "Who loves you when you need them.  That's your family."  I grew up in an Italian family and the importance of family was ingrained in us.  Family is important, but many people don't have the luxury of having their family close by and let's face it if they live close by sometimes you can get on each others nerves.  One of my new favorite shows is Modern Family.  They are all related in the show, but it shows how love and support can come in many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment