Wednesday, February 10, 2010

PASSION

Since Valentine's Day is quickly approaching I thought it would be appropriate to write about passion.  Unfortunately for my husband, it's not the type of passion he would like me to write about.  A common theme on Oprah's shows is following your passion in life.  She has featured many businesses such as Williams Sonoma and Cold Stone Creamery which started as a result of individuals following their passions in life.  The problem is a lot of people don't know what their passionate about.  Oprah has tried to help people find the answer by featuring life coaches and psychologists who have given us questions to ask ourselves.  My husband thinks I spend too much time seeking to find the answers when they are probably right in front of my face.  I have tried to listen to the voice within me and follow it which is one of the reasons why I started this blog.  

Years ago Oprah and Bob Greene, her trainer at the time,  were discussing exercise. The way I remember the conversation was as follows- Oprah talked about how she used to pray for discipline and Bob said, " discipline comes from doing."   I have never forgotten that comment.  I too am not always thrilled about exercising, but I force myself to do it and in turn have made it a habit.  It also helps that my exercise partner never lets me hear the end of it if I skip more than a day.  I am passionate about many things, but I tend to think about them more than I do them.  I'm easily overwhelmed, but if I just take baby steps and start doing things I find things aren't as big as I've made them out to be. 

Another thing I've learned from watching guests on Oprah's show is that if you do what you love the wealth will follow.  It would be nice if everyone that followed their passion became a millionaire, but that isn't always the case. Loving what you do and feeling fulfilled is a large part of being successful.  
   

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Dawn! I think it IS hard to define your passion, since maybe there are many things that I enjoy. Sure, I'd love to paint the day away, but I think my true passion is teaching. Although there are days at work that seem to zap the passion, it isn't very hard to me to get that charged up feeling after I work with some kids, or work with some teachers. I think that's why I am so passionate about running.....it something that energizes me too.

    ReplyDelete