Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Nuns

Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of Lent.  Lent is the 40 day period before Easter and is traditionally a time of soul-searching, repentance and self-denial.  It is something nuns practice everyday.  News correspondent, Lisa Ling, often goes on different assignments for the Oprah show.  She interviewed a group of Nuns that lived in a convent in Michigan.  I was raised  Catholic, but never attended Catholic school.  However, my parents did back in the 40's and 50's and my perception of nuns was that they were mostly old and went around smacking your hands with rulers if you were naughty.  Hollywood's portrayal of nuns in movies seemed to be on par with my perceptions unless you were Sally Field in The Flying Nun.  I was surprised that a lot of the women interviewed were in their twenties.  Nuns take a vow of chastity and poverty.  The habits they wear represent their wedding dress.  Their marriage is with Christ. Oprah questioned the women on why they chose that lifestyle.  They all said it was something they were called to do.  It was a feeling they had in their heart or an inner voice calling them to that vocation.  One nun had left a successful career and wore designer clothes, but never felt fulfilled. 
 
I thought about how my reaction was similar to Oprahs.  Why would anyone want to be a nun?
It doesn't sound like much fun to me.  However, every single one of the nuns appeared to have a sense of peace, calm and contentment.  Their journey in life involved less stress and less things to worry about.  They don't wear make-up and have to worry about what their going to wear.  
I thought Lisa Ling summed it up best by saying that most people view nuns lives as very strict when actually they view their lives as very liberating.  They don't worry about being skinny enough, pretty enough or consuming enough anymore.  All of those arguments sound appealing, but a big part of me is happy that God hasn't called me to join the convent.  I'm pretty sure the owners of Target are happy too.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Good one! I wish I would have seen this one. Sounds interesting. I love Lisa Ling.

    ReplyDelete